TIM’s Tip: bi-directional data integration
TIM here again – with another Tip, hope it’s helpful.
In my experience integrating various SaaS applications such as Salesforce, Netsuite, Parature, RightNow, JIRA, etc, bi-directional integration is a popular requirement.
So, why use bi-directional integration? Consider a bi-directional update between the Salesforce and RightNow Account Objects as an example:
- When the record in Salesforce is updated, the linked record in RightNow will also be updated ie it works both ways.
Now, this isn’t ideal for all systems and mostly suitable for real-time integration. There are a few things to be aware of:
- You need a mechanism to stop an endless update loop. ie:
- A Record updated in Salesforce triggers the integration to update the record in RightNow.
- RightNow’s updated record will trigger the integration to update Salesforce’s Record and on and on – you get the idea.
- In this scenario you should define which fields/data is the Master.
- Make sure you are checking for timestamps to avoid the scenario where out of date data will update what was the correct data.
Time for a Pina Colada now I think.